Support for SermonSpeaker 5.x is in bugfix mode only, the same as it is for Joomla 3.10.
I will not add any new features to this releases.
Please upgrade to SermonSpeaker 6.x and Joomla 4.x, which is better anyway.

Confusion with Categories and Sermons

More
13 Jul 2014 19:31 #4723 by Paul Jacobson
  • We are having trouble sorting out categories and series.
  • I would have thought that series would be sets of sermons and categories would be sets of sermons as well.
  • JHowever, when I use the menu for list of series, I get categories available not series.
  • Are categories simply collections of series in the aggregate all sermons group (which is a category or a series???_)
  • Some explanation would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jul 2014 20:26 #4724 by Thomas Hunziker
Series are meant to group sermons with the same general topic. Like for example a series "Fruits of Spirit" an each Sunday is a different sermon topic like "love", "joy", "peace", ...

Categories could be used for the same, but I would not recommend it. It would a bit overkill B)
Categories can be used to group together sermons, series and/or speakers. It's useful for example if you have two services which you want not mixed. Like for "Youth Service" and "Sunday Morning Service".

The categories can also be used to set different permissions. That means you could create a "private" category which allows to restrict the sermons to only a certain usergroup. Or you could even have one website for two different churches if you wanted.

Plus categories can be nested, which series can't.

If you don't have any special need for categories, that is perfectly fine. Most churches probably don't need really them. But they can be a powerful tool.
The following user(s) said Thank You: michaeleino

More
13 Jul 2014 20:42 #4725 by Paul Jacobson
The problem is that entries in the category list show up in I use the menu item to show series. I can't seem to get a list of series to show.

More
13 Jul 2014 21:05 #4726 by Thomas Hunziker
If you want to get a list of series, you need to select the category in which those series are.
By default all items (series, sermons and speakers) are assigned to the category "Uncategorised". Just select that in the menu item and you will get a list of all series within that category.

More
09 May 2021 02:38 - 09 May 2021 02:39 #7790 by michaeleino

Series are meant to group sermons with the same general topic. Like for example a series "Fruits of Spirit" an each Sunday is a different sermon topic like "love", "joy", "peace", ...

Categories could be used for the same, but I would not recommend it. It would a bit overkill B)
Categories can be used to group together sermons, series and/or speakers. It's useful for example if you have two services which you want not mixed. Like for "Youth Service" and "Sunday Morning Service".

The categories can also be used to set different permissions. That means you could create a "private" category which allows to restrict the sermons to only a certain usergroup. Or you could even have one website for two different churches if you wanted.

Plus categories can be nested, which series can't.

If you don't have any special need for categories, that is perfectly fine. Most churches probably don't need really them. But they can be a powerful tool.

your comment is too old, but worth much to be added to the documentation!
thanks a lot

Thanks a lot.
Michael F
Last edit: 09 May 2021 02:39 by michaeleino.

Time to create page: 0.293 seconds