Some ideas for future versions

• Eduard
  • Eduard's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Jan 2013 22:33 #2904 by Eduard
Some ideas for future versions was created by Eduard
Hi, Thomas!

I wrote a few ideas for improving very useful component ;)

1) Update JWplayer to new version 6. Simply replacing swf-file does not work anymore.

2) Add to settings path to imagefile for spekers without picture. Because after each component update nopict.jpg in media directory is replaced by the standard from the install_archive.

3a) Yet another suggestion from the permanent personal experience... After an update I always climb up in helper.php for some changes (that can actually be added also to the settings for greater flexibility): Now anywhere where is link to Speaker, it render such a way that when I click this on it opens popup-window. But, it is often popup-window not required, just want go to a page with all the sermons of this speaker.

Offer solutions: I think for ease and to improve, in the settings may be option with action for Speaker links: 1. popup-window with descriptions and bio (as such now), 2. as link to sermons, 3. or as link to series.

3b) Next, in the template "extnewline" has already a rendered picture with speaker, and beside a have link with speaker name. If I hover mouse the this link -> i see the tooltip with the same Speaker photo - I think this Tooltip with picture in this case just unnecessary.
At the same time this Tooltip with Speaker photo is very convenient in the list of all sermons, and other templates for "One sermon", where are no rendered picture.

My small offer solutions: Again, for less work and flexibility into scripts, may be add to functions that generates links to the Speaker, the boolean option to adding photos! Then everyone will be able to easily override in templates - whether they want photos on Speaker links or unnecessary.

Soo, while this is all!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jan 2013 08:23 #2905 by Thomas Hunziker
Hi Eduard

1) I had a look at JW Player 6 last week. It needs a bigger rewrite of the player code to get this done. A simple replace of the files does indeed not work. Unfortunately the free version has no support anymore for GoogleAnalytics, however they seem to have an own sort of analytics included. I just didn't look into this closer yet.
I think if I'm going to include JW6, I'll have to add it as a separate player instead of replacing JW5. Otherwise users could loose functionality.
I also had a look at the new Flowplayer by the way, unfortunately they removed the audio plugin. This means the new Flowplayer will only play videos, no audiofiles. Also they require JQuery which means I would only include it into a Joomla 3.0 only version.

2) That's a good idea and shouldn't be to complicate.

3a) You can actually achieved this using own layouts. You don't need to change the helper function :)
There is nothing which forces you to use the SpeakerTooltip() function in your own layout.
Code:
<a href="<?php echo JRoute::_(SermonspeakerHelperRoute::getSpeakerRoute($item->speaker_slug)); ?>"><?php echo $item->name; ?></a>
would create a simple link to the default layout of the speaker. A tooltip can be created using JHtml::tooltip

3b) I agree that in the extnewline layout, the tooltip is a bit redundant. I can change this. By the way: The option to not show a picture is already there. Just don't pass a picture :)
Code:
echo SermonspeakerHelperSermonSpeaker::SpeakerTooltip($item->speaker_slug, false, $item->name);

More
17 Jan 2013 13:25 - 17 Jan 2013 13:25 #2908 by Thomas Hunziker
2) is included in SermonSpeaker 4.4.11
3b) is also included in SermonSpeaker 4.4.11
Last edit: 17 Jan 2013 13:25 by Thomas Hunziker.

• Eduard
  • Eduard's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
22 Jan 2013 22:19 #2922 by Eduard
Replied by Eduard on topic Some ideas for future versions
Wow, Thomas, great works... Now has next version!

I tried the new version. And just do not understand some behavior in ovevrided templates. This expression <?php echo SermonspeakerHelperSermonSpeaker::makelink($item->pic); ?> not returned default picture, if Speaker not have own image. I discovered this in the template speakers/normal.php.
It is what I could note immediately!

Now... about the idea 3a.
I understand that by default, anywere where me have link to Speaker, it opens in the &tmpl=component.
However how to make a direct link to Speaker in the template is clear! Some templates I'm it doing. But the templates is not too little. And link to Speaker may meet in different places. For example, one such place for me was Series template: series/normal.php
Where rendering all links to Speakers were just is <?php echo $item->speakers; ?> - of course all links have &tmpl=component.
And I correct this only in helper :) This is easy and recursively (two in one) ;-)

Okay, it's a little funny! But with &tmpl=component in links for Speakers need to do something to be able, for quickly and easily switch all links without overriding all templates.

I think it will be helpful and will give flexibility, minimize overriding templates.

More
23 Jan 2013 07:57 #2923 by Thomas Hunziker

Eduard wrote: This expression <?php echo SermonspeakerHelperSermonSpeaker::makelink($item->pic); ?> not returned default picture, if Speaker not have own image.

This layout only shows the picture, if there really is a picture. It will not fall back to the default picture. The makelink function just adds the Joomla root to the path, and only if it's not an extern file.

Eduard wrote: And I correct this only in helper :) This is easy and recursively (two in one) ;-)

Okay, it's a little funny! But with &tmpl=component in links for Speakers need to do something to be able, for quickly and easily switch all links without overriding all templates.

I think it will be helpful and will give flexibility, minimize overriding templates.

I see your point. I see if I can add an option to the helperfunction to open the link directly instead of the popup. It would then go to the default speaker layout instead of the info layout.

Time to create page: 0.188 seconds